Stacey M. Washington, Attorney and CounselorAttorney and Counselor
Protect Your Rights, Call or Email Me Today.

How to Handle a Holiday DUI

033226285-new-years-eve-hat.jpegDuring the holiday season, Washtenaw County law enforcement increases DUI patrols. Even if you have consumed only one drink, you may be subjected to a drunk driving arrest. If you have been charged with a DUI do not panic. Though you may feel humiliated keep your wits about you and act fast in retaining counsel. Contact my law office for legal representation. Read on to learn more about how to handle a holiday DUI.

1. Do not admit fault. The police officer likely asked you a series of questions when he/she pulled you over. You may have been pressured into disclosing whether you consumed alcohol before driving. If you exercised your Constitutional right to remain silent - great! If you admitted to consuming alcohol, contact an attorney ASAP! Admitting that you had a few drinks will support the police officer's claim for probable cause. Your statement can also be admitted into evidence during trial and used against you.
2. Stay on top of your case. Obtain the officer's contact information to stay on top of your case. Do not ignore a DUI charge. Provide your attorney with all the information you have regarding the arrest. Promptly respond to your attorney's requests.
3. Consider all your options. If you retain me as counsel, I will provide you with a detailed overview of the criminal penalties that you may incur from a conviction. We will consider all options as to whether you should settle through a plea deal or fight the charge at trial. When deciding, consider the evidence asserted against you and the consequences a conviction or a plea bargain could have professionally and personally.
4. Remain calm. As mentioned above, do not panic about being charged with a DUI in Washtenaw County. Doing so will only make matters worse. Hire an experienced attorney to handle your case. The only time you should worry is when you either don't retain a lawyer or retain an inexperienced DUI lawyer to represent you.
5. Hire an experienced DUI attorney. Invest in a quality attorney. Your future is on the line. Do not delay in obtaining counsel. Doing so will only hurt your case.

Contact my law office for a free initial telephone consultation and for representation. I can help have the charge asserted against you reduced or completely dismissed. Call 734-929-9730 to speak with me directly. Retaining an experienced attorney can help you avoid spending time in jail, resolve your case in a timely manner, and minimize the negative consequences.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information