Stacey M. Washington, Attorney and CounselorAttorney and Counselor
Protect Your Rights, Call or Email Me Today.

Michigan College Students - How to Tell Your Parents About Your DUI

Thumbnail image for Alcoholic-802023.jpgAs a college student, being arrested for a DUI can be a daunting experience. You may be wondering what you should do, how to contact a drunk driving attorney, and whether or not you should tell your parents. Read on to learn more about whether or not you should tell your parents about your DUI and how to get legal help.

College Students & DUIs

It is not uncommon for college students to be charged with drunk driving. Though most students may feel sober to drive, they may be legally impaired.

2.1 million students between the ages of 18 and 24 drove under the influence of alcohol in 2002.

About 5 percent of 4-year college students are involved with the police or campus security as a result of their drinking and an estimated 110,000 students between the ages of 18 and 24 are arrested for an alcohol-related violation such as public drunkenness or driving under the influence.

How to Tell Your Parents About Your DUI

There is no perfect way to tell your parents you have been charged with a DUI. It may be in your best interest to consult with a DUI attorney first to discuss the severity of the charge(s) asserted against you.

After your lawyer explains the possible penalties and sentencing you may face, you may want to consider telling your parents. You do not have to explain to them the entire case, but you may want to seek their opinion in ensuring that you have obtained the right drunk driving attorney to help represent you.

Note, your attorney is not allowed to discuss the matter with your parents under the attorney-client confidentiality doctrine. But, your attorney may be able to offer suggestions on how to talk to your parents about your DUI.

Additionally, there may be specific administrative penalties asserted against you by your college administration such as academic probation, suspension, or expulsion. Depending on your college's policies, your parents may be contacted directly. Court notices may also be mailed to your permanent home address. Your parents may learn of your DUI simply by opening the mail. Oftentimes, honesty is the best policy. Your parents will likely be very upset and angry. But, your parents love you and will likely do everything they can to help and support you in this awful situation.

If you have been charged with drunk driving in Ypsilanti, Michigan, contact me for a case consultation. I help defend Washtenaw County residents charged with drunk driving. Call 734-274-6567 or email me to schedule an appointment.



No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information